|How I normally wear my natural, unprocessed hair|
I love beauty products and love it when I get the chance to review a new one or a revamped formula of an older brand. The latter was the case this month for me. Herbal Essences developed a new formula for its Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner.
I never used the old formula, so I could not compare the new to the old. I can say that I knew this shampoo and conditioner had it's work cut out for it because I have unruly, kinky, coils (type 4a hair) that I tend to wear in a standard Afro or a large Afro puff when I don't feel like setting it. So for me, I wanted to see if the new Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner would help me achieve a straight style:
- Without the use of my regular styling products. OR
- If it could cut down my straightening time when used with my regular styling products.
I first tried straightening my hair with just using the shampoo and conditioner alone. After 5.5 hours of styling, my ends, which is where my frizz comes in, were puffed out! I looked I should have been a member of Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. "Frizzy Bone, is what they call me."
The next day I tried my hand at again, but this time I would use my usual arsenal:
- Palm Desert Rose Oil Hair Elixir as a hot oil treatment.
- Avon Techniques Lotus Shield.
- Softee Hair Coconut Oil Hair & Scalp Conditioner.
After washing my hair with the Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner, I applied my usual styling products and my hair took about 2.5 hours to straighten. From root to tip my hair was straight and remained straight for about two days.
Pros for Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner when used on Afro hair:
- They left my hair smelling great even after blowing drying and hot combing it. The burnt smell from the hot comb is not present.
- I could use a lower heat setting on the hot comb.
- They help loosen my kinky coils making my hair easier to comb
- My straightening time was reduced by 1.5. It usually takes 4 hours, this time only 2.5 hours.
- I can not use these two products without my frizz fighters and extra conditioner for my ends.
When used with my normal products Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner worked well for my natural Afro hair. Not all hair, even if you share the same hair type as I do, is the same.
Case in point: I allowed my mother to use it the day before she put a relaxer in her hair. Her hair felt dry and she claimed it stripped away the old relaxer from her hair. She feels she can only use Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Pin Straight Shampoo and Conditioner when she is ready to put in a relaxer.
Look for the new formula to hit stores soon. In the meantime you may still be able to purchase the old formula from Amazon.com. Both formulas have the same honey pear scent, the new formula is just supposed to work better.
I received compensation to review the product(s) or service(s)in exchange for my unbiased and honest review. Sponsored Post.